Arts blogs E-Zine of Penguin Gallery
Thursday, June 15, 2006

Rebel Yell! New works by Cesare Syjuco



Tuesday Night, May 09, 2006

The last time I saw Cesare Syjuco, if I can recall correctly was right here in Penguin Cafe (now known legally as Rock Ola Cafe). The event was the launching of the band Faust very first CD. Faust is composed of Cesare and Jean Marie's children. That night I had a visual and aural overdose.

So I got the surprised of my life when I received a text message from Ronnie (Lazaro) informing me that Cesare would be launching his latest work of poetry, entitled " Home is the Underground" . It was also a reunion of sort for all veterans and alumni and believers of Penguin Cafe spirit. This time however, I had no visual and aural overdose.I came well prepared for the night.

It was a night of pure free flowing words, wisdom and unadulterated weirdness.

Words.
The night opened with poetry reading from Jim Libiran, Vim Nadera (my apologies for not getting the right cue on his background music), Krip Yuson, Bob Balingit (accompanying himself with a guitar) and another sets of much younger poets.
Wisdom.
You know ? This is a line from Krip Yuson's poetry tribute to late Pepito Bosch. I first heard of this piece recited during the Pepito's 1st death anniversary. If you know what he means, I mean you know. THINK!
Weirdness
Lirio Salvador (visual artist and avant garde/industrial music proponent) played his sandata musical instrument. he was accompanied by a performance artist who decided to stiched his lips (using surgical needle) while Lirio was playing his music. It added enough fuel to ignite the audience fertile imagination and shock. After completely stitching his mouth closed, he proceeded to recite his poetry. Of course by this time it was already inaudible and you could hardly understand the words. By this time all of us was grimacing in our own make believe pain.

 
posted by Penguin Gallery-BARFLY at 3:30 PM, |

0 Comments: